Wykeham House School was founded by Mrs Baylis at Orme Lodge in West Street, Fareham in 1913. It moved to 69 High Street, Fareham, a fine Georgian building, in 1928.
In 1953, 67 High Street was acquired and further expansion was possible by the purchase of 66 High Street in 1979.
In 1986, the School moved to its present position in East Street where the Georgian building with its large modern wing provides spacious accommodation for the entire school on one site.
Approximately 200 girls and boys from the ages of 3 to 16 are drawn from a wide catchment area including Fareham, Portsmouth, Southampton, Southsea, Havant, Emsworth, Hayling Island, Bishop’s Waltham, the Meon Valley and Winchester.
Members of the Board of Trustees consist of a number of people drawn from a variety of professions who bring a
wealth of expertise and experience to the administration of the School. The Trust deed states that one of the
Trustees should be a clergyman of the Church of England.
The Headmistress is a member of the Girls’ Schools Association.
The Wykeham House Centenary Book is now available to buy at only £26.19 + p&p. To purchase your copy, simply click on the following link to the virtual bookshop.
Our Centenary festivities are complete and we have certainly celebrated in style!
Our celebrations began with the distribution of ‘silver boater charms’ to every pupil and member of staff in the School. We then came together for a beautiful Service of Thanksgiving at Holy Trinity Church where we were honoured with the presence of The Bishop of Portsmouth our Patron.
The second week of our celebrations saw the production of The Centenary Musical with words by Mrs Jan Caddy, Deputy Headmistress, and music composed by Mr Derek Jones, Director of Music. This played to a full house for three evenings and was rapturously received by our audiences.
The sun shone for our Festival Day on 1st May when a tree was planted, a plaque unveiled and the time capsule buried. The time line, the centenary banners and the Centenary Play Area were all officially opened and then the girls, staff and guests enjoyed a Street Party in the sunshine. The afternoon saw the girls enjoying three different activities and much fun was had by all. Throughout the day the girls and staff were wearing ‘clothing though the decades’ which made some of the circus skills quite a challenge!
The adults then came together at HMS Collingwood for a splendid Centenary Ball on Friday 3rd May 2013 to close our celebrations.
All those on the Centenary Committee are to be thanked for their enthusiasm and dedication to detail in the preparation of all our events and activities. I thank the staff for their ideas and inspiration and the girls for their participation.
Lynn Clarke, Headmistress.